pittsfield-jew

The first post says it all Shalom, This is the home of the Pittsfield Jew. Sure its neat to read about Jews in Brooklyn who are very observant but how about a not so observant Jew who lives in the Mid West?

Monday, May 02, 2005

Action packed weekend

Its late so I'm gonna type and go to bed. After I just enjoyed my Post Pesach Malt Beverage. My hands are dry, I should put cream on them. Its cold here. For dinner Flank Steak or London Broil as my mother calls it. Funny thing happened on the way to the grill. It was cold so we moved it into the garage. Then it was still not lighting. It was out of gas. She (wife) was so mad so we borrowed gas from the neighbor. I managed to finish all the wine over the weekend myself, noone else drinks it. I used some for Matzah Brei. My wife got sick and spent Shabbat at a friend's house so I stayed up until 2AM and had two of the three kids here. Watched the movie Possum and started Airport 77. I decided I had seen Airport 77 and was not going to finish watching it. Chabad doesn't have the weekly Parsha portal updated so I read Haft Torah chapter 12 of Melachim II. Wow getting up there now. Even studied Hebrew for 6 whole minutes. In Kings a king hid in the Holy of Holyies for 6 years and did not die so they made him king. I am studying Binyamin Paal verbs surely not spelled correctly. Well look at the time. I also mowed the lawn it was cold.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:42 PM, Blogger bec said…

    sounds like youre doing some good learning. you should check out rabbi aryeh kaplan's THE LIVING TORAH and also THE LIVING NACH. they extremely interesting translations of the tanach with incredible commentary.

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger ptjew said…

    I read the reviews on AMAZON of the living nach and its funny how two people can read the same book. One says

    On the negative side: commentary on the bottom is very skimpy

    Another says

    extensive footnotes at the bottom of each page of the text

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger bec said…

    i have to laugh since living in brooklyn (only a week and a half more) there are tons of judaica stores, so i've never purchased any of my jewish books online. i have the soncino chumash also and i find that while i like the commentary that has, i like the kaplan much better. if you are using the Stone Edition of the chumash, (i realize that i have no idea which you are reading), you'll be ENLIGHTENED by the kaplan. really. and i'm not orthodox, just ortho-thought. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares