pittsfield-jew

The first post says it all Shalom, This is the home of the Pittsfield Jew. Sure its neat to read about Jews in Brooklyn who are very observant but how about a not so observant Jew who lives in the Mid West?

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Cancer story continued

Another action packed weekend and its only Saturday night. Back to Z's story. I like getting to the hospital the night before a major surgery to remove a cancerous growth/tumor. How did she know it was called Wilms Tumor anyway. What did Wilm do? So here's the scene we leave the other two kids behind, I call work and say my son has Cancer and I won't be in for awhile. I know my parent are going to be called later hopefully, I'll get a chance. Maybe it was on a Saturday night and I didn't call work until Monday and my oldest missed no school, I just don't remember. I remember it was Saturday when some Jewish people biked to see us at the hospital. One man said and you going to have the kidney removed too? I was shocked, last to know of course.

Back to Dr Mody. We go into a conference room him and a Chinese guy. Mody says there is no simple with cancer. Agreed. I figured this was simple since it was so remote to find it this way. He then says it smells like cancer, but I need the pathology report and by the way you could have come in in the morning, since you got a chest x-ray already. My wife is on top of things. She was pissed and I was glad. She was right of course, wasted time you know. Z is ripping the place up barely walking, barely talking.

After the wife finishes the laundry I gotta run.

Well wishers come by etc. We get a book of psalms. We meet the rabbi. Early we stopped by Shavout services and waited in the minivan to meet well wishers. Maybe one of did since this time line is losing it sensical thread. So we wait in the or waiting room for a couple of hours. Me popping valium, step mother - in - law hanging with me and also another lady friend. She has a son in my daughter's class. Her husband watches our other two kids that day. They have a daughter the same age as our other daughter. They went to preschool together.

Dr Park calls into the little room. Other surgeons are so rude they talk out in the open. I try to get some sleep. The wife never lets me. Dr Park says we make a super large incision and look at both kidneys. Making sure the tumor is intact on one side only. It is and he says he has to get back to work now. If he had found it spread or was on both kidneys they would abort the mission and .... Either way we need the biopsy to test the type of cancer.

Earlier we met our next door hospital neighbor. These are double rooms. My wife promply gets our roomate evicted. Little did she know it was a dying AIDS patient with a cartload of meds who is getting sent home. Next door meet Evan he is Mr Stage 5 Wilms tumor. They still keep a webpage on him. He was not eating for a month and finally they figured out what was wrong. Even Evan had a good chance. Same story hopefully they can cut open and not abort the mission. So much for 1 in 10,000 chance of Wilms's tumor, two in the two rooms admitted on the same day. These people are like Kentucky/Tennessee (white) evangical christian whatever. Their church their family was out food was coming out of their ears. Evan was in serious trouble. No food allowed lots of morphine. Z was getting far better treatment, they had no roomie either.
6 or 7 hours later Z gets his surger completed and goes to recovery. His surgery removed a softball size tumor and the kidney too. The kidney is the size of fist. Amazing the tumor grew so fast in just 5 months. Wilms is a fast growing tumor.

Were not shomer shabbas but out of deference to the Jews I don't blog on Shabbat and don't emails Jews either. I call my parents, brother and Aunt. My Dad's uncle won't talk on the phone though.

Z made a web page too. His story and web authors were nothing compared with the glasses wearing two year old (same age as Z) next door neighbor. This woman was amazing. She wrote volumes. My wife gave up quickly. She may come back and tell Z's story. My blog is a secret she knows not about. Z didn't like this surgery. He had a really hard recovery. Finally we removed the morphine and he fely better. Chicken and the egg problem. Wife can't stand Dr Mody. As a matter of fact he had a baby number two. We (she) got him some gifts. She returned them since he (ass) couldn't meet her someday. After around 8 days we got outta there. It took a record for 6 days to get the pathology report. Wilms. Evan 3 kinds of cancer, 1 in a million plus Wilms' stage 5 and a tumor the size of a cantelope. The parents were guilty but ten times calmer then our family. How could they not know. It pushes the organs all away.

Mody was so mean. This is baby chemo he said. Z got a tube stuck into his heart around his neck and out his chest. It remained for 5 months. Chemo for 18 weeks. Baby chemo. You could get in the car with the engine running in the parking lot. Not so we were in and out in 2-3 hours.

Gotta run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares